GLEN BURNIE, MD – 2/05/13 – Dalma Novak, Vice President of Pharad, will be giving a short course at the OFC/NFOEC Conference in Los Angeles, CA in March.
SC217 Hybrid Fiber Radio – The Application of Photonic Links in Wireless Communications
Date: Sunday, March 17, 2013
Instructor: Dalma Novak, PhD
The use of photonic links for the transport and distribution of radio signals in wireless networks is becoming ever increasingly pervasive. Applications where such hybrid technology is employed include backhaul solutions for mobile networks; indoor distributed antenna systems; as well as integrated fixed and mobile broadband and ultrabroadband networks capable of providing users with very high bandwidth services.
This short course presents an overview of the application of photonic links in wireless communication networks. The associated system architectures and signal transport technologies that enable the implementation of integrated wireless and wireline (optical) networks will be discussed. The various technical challenges and issues that must be addressed for the successful integration of these networks, which encompass very different requirements and specifications, will also be presented.
Topics to be covered include:
• Integrated optical/wireless network architectures
• Requirements and challenges for the development of hybrid fiber radio systems
• Relevant technologies and implementation approaches
Benefits and Learning Objectives
This course should enable participants to:
• Understand the motivation for the integration of wireless communication systems with optical fiber networks;
• Identify the technical challenges related to the application of photonics and optical networking concepts to wireless communications;
• Understand and compare physical layer technologies that enable the integration of wireless and optical networks;
• Identify technologies that can improve the performance of integrated optical and wireless networks;
• Establish the trade-offs with alternative integrated network architectures
This is an intermediate course for people working in telecommunication related areas who wish to broaden their knowledge and learn how optical networks are being integrated with wireless communications or find out the current status of this multidisciplinary field.
Dalma Novak is Vice President at Pharad, LLC who are developing advanced RF-over-fiber and antenna products. She received her PhD in Electrical Engineering in 1992. From 1992 – 2004 she was a faculty member in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne, Australia. Previously Dr. Novak held positions at Dorsal Networks and Corvis Corporation. Dr. Novak is a Fellow of the IEEE and has published over 250 papers in the area of hybrid fiber radio technologies.
Marketing and Sales Associate